Monday, May 19, 2008

Garden Project

Photo: Spartan Village porch 2006

When I was a kid we always had a vegetable garden in our back yard. There were those summer-time meals when everything on the table was from our own garden. For the last ten years or so I have maintained a garden at my parents house (about an hour away), but I recently found out about a community garden project here in the Lansing area. Without a car it would have been impossible to make enough trips home to establish a good garden. I am pretty new to community gardening and it has been an wonderful experience so far. All the gardeners are really friendly and helpful. The Lansing Garden Project is a program of the Greater Lansing Food Bank. I didn't know much about them till now but they are dedicated to providing healthier food options for low income house holds. The surplus produce from these community gardens go to the needy in our area. Last year they served almost 1,500 people with fresh produce.
I work at a local food bank in Lansing and it is so great to know that lower income households are not restricted to high sodium, canned foods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Sitemeter